Friday, October 12, 2007

Byron Bay

I got into Sydney on Thursday the 4th and spent the whole day exploring the city. It seems like a pretty small place, but it's full of huge parks. There's a botanical garden that I spent a couple hours in. Then I found a shopping district downtown and got lost for a few hours. There are lots of fountains and statues everywhere too. The outskirts and suburbs remind me of New Orleans. The culture here is completely different though, everybody seems much more relaxed. It's pretty hot out most of the time too, and people here say it's not really all that hot yet.

After spending a couple days wandering around Sydney I went to Manly on a ferry. It was a pretty nice ride as the sun was setting. I partied with the locals that night, and spent most of the next day on the beach. At about 3 in the afternoon, a huge black cloud blew in and lightning and thunder were soon to follow. Within about 15 minutes everyone was off the beach and walking around under the awnings and hiding from the rain. I got the next ferry back to Sydney and spent the rest of the day inside at my friends house. One more night in Sydney and I was off to Byron Bay.

Byron is beautiful. I haven't gone up to the light house yet because my feet are pretty tired from all the walking I did in San Fran and Sydney, but I'll probably do that today.

The hostel is a lot of fun. There are people from all over the world. People are always ready to go on an adventure somewhere. I went out to a swamp the other day, but it was getting dark so I didn't get really spectacular pictures. I also walked down the beach one day and climbed all over the rocks to look at the little pools full of life. There were tons of snails and crabs. I got a few neat seashells to bring home. The crabs look a little different here. I haven't seen any whales yet but I've heard you can see them jump from the lighthouse.

Sunday I leave for Fraser Island, for a two night three day adventure. After that I'll be heading to Arlie and catching a sailboat out to Whitsundays for the day. I'm also planning a trip to Blue Pearl Bay for snorkeling. Then I'll only have a few days left before I've got to catch my flight back.

1 comment:

supermadchen said...

Sounds like you are having a great trip, hostels rock for meeting people. I am still in Ireland, but only for a few more days, then off to Amsterdam. Yeah!!