Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Whitsundays

After Fraser Island, Todd, Farrell (the Canadians), Jasper (guy from Holland) and I all piled into the van again to continue on to Arlie Beach. Jasper only rode as far as Bundaberg.

We arrived in Arlie late Friday night and checking into a room at the Hostel was hell. I finally got settled in and went to bed around 2am. The next day I checked into a better room at the hostel and spent the next couple days just bumming around town.

The Whitsundays sail trip left on Monday morning. There were 26 passengers and 5 crew on the boat. The cook wrote every ones name on their foot so we could all get acquainted. We spent 3 days sailing around the Whitsunday Islands, snorkeling and scuba diving.

We set anchor at Whitehaven beach, one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and took an introductory scuba course from the on board instructor there. That night everybody got drunk off goon (cheap box wine) and a few of the crew and passengers went ashore to do fire dancing. I tried it for the first time, and even thought I probably looked like a complete idiot, it was a lot of fun. It was really easy to go to sleep that night.

The next day we set sail again and headed on to another Island where there was a lot of reef action. I got tons of pictures here. We did another scuba dive, and spent most of the day snorkeling. That afternoon we went to a smaller Island and stayed for the sunset. There was a sand bar that stretched out quite a way, and there were stingrays swimming about in the warm shallow water. We all got drunk and slept on the boat again. A lot of the passengers were up till 2 or 3am, and I think I was probably one of the first awake the next day.

We spent the last day on the same Island and did more snorkeling. As the tide was going out, we all walked out on the sand bar. I touched a sea turtle that was close to the shore of the sand bar. We had lunch, and then motored over to another small Island where we went for one last dive. It was really active here, with several different types of coral and fish. There was no wind that day so we had to motor all the way back to Arlie.

When we got to Arlie, I was exhausted but also excited to go out with everyone that night. I got showered and made my final travel plans, then met up with everyone for drinks. The night was never ending. Around midnight a lot of the people who went out were off to catch a bus on to their next destination. I ran into a bunch of the people I had met on the Fraser Island trip. I told them I was leaving the next day and they told me I shouldn't go to sleep. I stayed up all night dancing, until 5:30 when I decided it would be a good idea to get my stuff and catch my bus. I really didn't want to go.


No comments: